Sunday 27 March 2011

Katy's Nant Gwrtheyrn.

This weekend was officially the start of the 2011 season for me. It was the first round of the BDS (British Downhill Series) set in Nant Gwrtheyrn, North Wales. It was a new track and a new venue for the BDS so it made for a good season opener.

It was a bit of a weird race for me really. I hadn’t really touched the downhill bike all winter as ive just been focusing on 4X training, so to suddenly hop straight back on my Rose Beefcake and throw myself down a steep, rocky, wet decent and then try to get up to race pace just didn’t feel quite right. Practise was going a bit hit and miss for me, i was going from one real good run to then having the worst run in all of history!

By the time Sunday came around, the weather had decided to take a turn for the worst and not only was it freezing cold, it was pouring with rain to. I was up on the first uplift and smashed out 2 solid runs in before my seeding run both of which went alright so put me in a positive mood for the race. My seeding run didn’t go quite to plan, i was having what felt like a pretty good run, but then coming out of the last technical part of the track, i completely lost concentration and bang that was me over the bars and led on the floor.

Come race run i was back to feeling positive again. I set of from the start line and i was feeling really good. I knew i could go faster but i just wanted to get down and post a time in. As i crossed the line i felt like i had a real good run, I didn’t any major mistakes just felt like it could of been a lot faster. I came in 1st place and remained in the hot seat as another few riders came down. Unfortunately i didn’t stay there for long though, Fionn came down put 13 seconds in to my time, which then soon made me realise i was way of the pace! I ended up in 4th place which i obviously slightly disappointed at but it did make me realise im not going to be able to be at the top of my game in 2 different sports, Ive said at the start of this year i will be concentrating on 4X and thats what ive done, so im just hoping all my 4X training has paid off and i can get some descent results in the bag for that.

I will be putting a few more hours on the downhill bike though before the next round so hopefully i wont be so far of the back of the pack and can improve on my result. Next BDS round – 10th April at Moelfre, so i will keep you updated with my results.

-Katy

katy curdKaty Curd

No comments:

Post a Comment