Friday 11 March 2011

Borderline Events, Alpine Bikes Scottish Winter Downhill Series Round 2 of 3. A tale of two falls!

Well what a week that was! Driving to Innerleithen on Friday afternoon straight from an Army training course that included sleeping out in the Scottish highlands, I arrived pretty much washed out.

A quick walk of the course on Friday night by torch light showed an interesting course, considerably more technical than the fast course used on the first round. Having said that, it was still a quick track with only the final drop towards the finish looking really tricky, the steep off camber drop that was used in last year’s ‘bobsleigh’ winter round was included too. At least this year it was the mud rather than solid ice that was going to cause problems.

Saturday 5th – Practise – Overcast with light rain.

My first few practice runs were full of errors and crashes including my most spectacular crash to date on the off camber run towards the finish. I must have covered a good 20 metres mostly in the air after clipping a tree with the front of the bike which stopped dead. Luckily I’ve only a few bruises to show for it and the bike only suffered a badly bent front brake lever and twisted bars, both of which were quickly repaired. The remainder of my runs were much better with few noticeable errors and good speed being maintained through-out. I was getting increasingly tired as the afternoon wore on but comfortable with most of my lines. I was also happy with my speed when I called it a day on full runs and started sectioning the difficult but crucial final section. By this time a good number of other riders were doing the same and a crowd of spectators had formed. With great
encouragement (mostly Oohs and Aahs and much laughter), lots of lines were tried, some successful and others less so. Time for a shower, some supper and an early night.

Sunday 6th - Race Day – Bright and sunny but still cold.

I did one practice run during the limited Sunday morning practice period and got ready for my first race run pretty confident of a good result in the top 10 and hoping to improve on the first rounds 7th. Seeded 10th I set off but my plans were soon dashed when I fell on a section in the middle of the course that had really not bothered at all me during
practice. I was up and away again pretty quickly but still lost too much time and came in a disappointing 14th on 4:00.11. For run two I didn’t have the luxury of taking it easy and knew I had to be both fast and clean to make up for the first run. I knew I was capable of a good result and wanted to prove it. Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans. I probably over stretched myself focusing on pure speed and crashed on the upper section this time. Again I got up quickly, recovered the bike and set off again. I made it through where I’d crashed before easily and had another clean run through the final section but the damage had been done. I improved my time but by nothing like enough finishing 12th on 3:55.80.

The Scottish downhill scene is probably one of the most competitive in Europe just now and 12th is nothing to be ashamed of, but I know I can do a lot better. With one round to go I’m sitting in 5th place in the series. My goal now will be to retain this position and improve on the gap to the front.




Photo by Ian Linton


Euan Hird – Rose Bikes Flow Team.

No comments:

Post a Comment