Friday 1 June 2012

A couple of weeks ago, Jonny took part in his first DH race in over 12 years.  Having ridden at the Forest of Dean regularly with mates from the Bristol area and local celebrity Jake "the teaboy" Ireland, for the last couple of years he felt that the time was right to make the comeback...


The 150mm Granite Chief was my bike of choice for the relatively tame course which started off flat with some treacherous roots and mulchy turns before dropping onto the fire road for a quick sprint.  Off the fire road the course dived over another trail and a large mound which had to be sucked up before dropping back onto "Ski Run" proper.  Through the glare of the flash guns popping everywhere riders dropped into a deep rutted gully which could be straightlined if you were brave or lucky.  Another flatish sprint across the push up hill and back into the woods and a couple of switch backs before the finish section of a small hip, the FoD table (where the mums always stand and watch) and the left/right berms.  The course here was taped wide which allowed some riders to hop the berms and miss the two berms.  Over the road gap and the last two berms before a couple hard pedals across the line.  


After two or three practice runs in the morning and a healthy bacon and egg bap for lunch it was race time.  Being old I was now in Masters so had a bit of a wait to check out some lines on the way up the hill.  Realising that I am not Minaar or Peaty I figured I wouldn't remember these and would just try to stay off the brakes all the way down.  It turned out that the start list was incomplete at the top of the course, which pushed me right to the back of the category, just one rider after me, so there was no pressure on the first run.  I turned in a 3rd after the first run and was more than happy with that, if this stood it would be my best result ever!  Unfortunately some timing bumped us all down a place as Joe Bishop came down fastest but was missed off the sheet for some reason.  Still 4th was more than I was expecting so still pleased. 


Thanks to Loz Webb - http://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/loz-webb/

Second run down and the pressure is slightly more obvious.  Now the runs are in first run position, so I had 3rd place baring down on me.  Death griping my front brake I dropped into my second run and I'm pretty sure I closed me eyes for a lot of it.  I also don't remember breathing...  The only part of the run I can really remember was landing the table at the bottom and saying in my head, "jump the berm jump the berm..." only to find myself hammering around both berms and having to get on the pedals into the small road gap.  


I was gutted I didn't take the straight line as the results showed just 0.5seconds covered 3rd 4th and 5th.  I was in 5th.  


But thats racing and you can't change it once its done.  I was more than happy to come 5th on my little bike, and the racing bug has well and truly bitten me again.  Shame the next race is the same weekend as the Fort William DH World Cup.


You can check out the Granite Chief here - www.rosebikes.co.uk
and enter the next two races for the DTV series here - http://www.deantrailvolunteers.co.uk/


No comments:

Post a Comment